Saturday, May 9, 2009

Do you not understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?


So, my cousin, Jocelyn specializes in child language development. After my report from Austin's last check up she sent me a lot of really useful information on the topic. I've been working on some of those basics. I've also been paying much more attention to what is actually coming out of Austin's mouth. There were a few times before the doctor's visit that I thought maybe he said something but I've never been very good with baby talk. For instance, Gama, when my mother in law was visiting. But since those words were not regularly repeated I thought it was just a fluke. However, now that I'm actually listening for words I realize that he is trying to say a lot more. Today I am positive he said "run, run, run". (I repeat "run" as I run through the house or yard with him all the time.) I'm also relatively sure he called me mama and was not just babbling. Some other words are hi, bye-bye, oof (woof), ball, amen, some (as in "I want some") and maybe even down. I was awfully cavalier about the talking thing before but now that I am working on it I think it is really fun. And there is so much more to come. I can see why Jocelyn likes that career field. So, thanks, Jocelyn! I also want to try to teach him some sign language like my grandma suggested as I think he would really like it. I checked out a website someone told me about but will have to see if there is a less expensive alternative. Maybe at the library?

8 comments:

  1. I know/remember a tiny bit of sign language from the 2 years I took it in high school. They have great books at the library and kids seem to catch onto sign language much faster than adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post title. I can just see you and Austin running. Now that you are in tune with his vocabulary and responding my guess is that he will form and you will pick up on many more words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the info was helpful. Child language development is so intriguing! I have a few free websites with signs that would be appropriate for early language acquisition. They're saved on my work computer, so I'll get you the info Monday. The library is a great resource too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every kid has their own language, don't they? When Jane was little, I invited a couple little friends that were her age to play and then I sat around congratulating myself on how far advanced Jane's speach was, in comparison. It wasn't until weeks later that it occurred to me that their parents couldn't understand a word Jane said, but they understood their own kid just fine. Your ear gets used to it after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out "Signing Time with Alex and Leah". It's a really cute set of videos that kids love. We can check them out at our library. It was fun teaching Peter some sign language. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brent was behind in his speech because of decreased hearing from constant ear infections.... Grandma helped him learn some basic signs and he used them until he was able to communicate with words. It worked well. We still all remember milk, more and vomit (why that one? - cause Brent loved to sign it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my 4th attempt to post--and the last if it doesn't work again. I wish I had known about teaching infants to sign when mine were young. They seem to take to it so naturally, and it relieves a lot of frustration for them to be able to effectively communicate. Looking forward to seeing you. Aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think all children need a translator, but I'm glad to hear that you're hearing more! :) We've done some signing with TY and love it-

    ReplyDelete