Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sliding Backwards

Today was Austin's 1 year check up. He seems perfectly healthy with 1 exception. Maybe 2 exceptions. He lost weight. That's right LOST. He is now thinner than he was at 9 months. Taller but thinner. He is 30.5" tall (75%) and 17 lbs 9 oz. (Fallen off the charts.) Other than the drop on the charts Austin seems very healthy. So the doc still thinks it is probably just genetics and increased physical activity.The doctor wants to keep a closer eye on it just to be sure we're not missing something. We are to give him PediaSure instead of milk or formula and limit the amount he drinks to encourage more solids although he eats a fair amount as it is. We'll take him back in a month to see if he's put some weight back on.

The second exception is that he doesn't really have any words yet. Most children have a couple of words by a year but it's not a major concern. He suggested using baby talk. It's supposed to be easier for them to hear and repeat. Who'dathunk? He does repeat sounds such as when you take a drink and say "aaah" or when you cough. He'll mimic that kind of stuff. And he can follow simple directions like turn on the light. He's doing great in all his other developmental milestones.

All these things to think about. I mostly just am happy that he's breathing.

10 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the talking thing. Each kid develops at their own rate. Plus once they start they NEVER stop! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post for Better Hearing and Speech Month! It sounds like Austin's still within developmental norms. I sent you an email with more info than you probably want. I could talk forever about scaffolding pre-language skills.

    In a nutshell: between 9-18 months the focus is on communicative intentions (gestures, vocalizations, and word approximations) rather than vocabulary development. By the time he's 18 months he should be using 50 words and beginning to put two words together in simple sentences.

    Feel free to call or email if you want to chat about Austin's development. It sounds like you and Mike are doing an awesome job! Keep up the great work. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jocelyn. Thanks. That actually does make me feel a little better because he is doing all those things. Sometimes I think he does say words or is trying like tonight he kept saying baa referring to his ball. I just am not very good at deciphering baby talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baa is definately ball. At least, at my house that is how Aubrey says it. I am glad your Dr. is not too concerned about his weight. My doctor also had Aubrey come back in a month, and she had gained...just not enough to keep the same curve on the growth chart. Oh well, hope he is fine and responds well to the Pedia Sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben has been on and off the growth chart since he was about 6 months old. At 2 he is in the 2% for height and weight and wearing 12-18 month clothing. I think his little bro may end up out growing him.

    Sounds like Austin is doing great and he's a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The talking will come in time. For the moment, enjoy the quite. The next thing you know, he will be saying "what's that?" Over & over until you think you have no more hair to pull out! :) Although I think this adorable little boy will not give you any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dad insisted neither of us would engage in baby talk with you children. I don't think it hindered any of you in your speech development. Though I did imitate the sounds you made back to you - but I don't consider that baby talk. He's a smart little boy, he'll talk when he's ready just like his Grandpa L. And Missy is right, then come the flood of "whats" and "whys!" And of course the favorite word - "No!"

    Guess you don't need to worry about his eating too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come to think of it, he is a (darling) skinny little guy isn't he? And he's just like you, except for the little guy part. I wouldn't worry either, nice that you have a dr. that isn't overly dramatic. My girls are both scrawny too and they get along just fine. They just get cold easy.

    I can't believe he's already one, does it feel weird?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it's crazy that he's already one. Sometimes I look at him and he seems like such a big boy and other times he's still my little bitty baby. I'm gonna have a hard time letting him grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Pediasure- my old friend! Can't wait to see the birthday boy.

    ReplyDelete