He had his nine month check up last week. He's a healthy, happy boy. Long and thin. 18.5" tall and 18 lbs 3 oz.
And then 2 days later he woke up with a cold. Then after his first nap he was super duper congested. He was sitting up playing on the floor and all of a sudden he starts choking. No noise. Not breathing. Face turning colors. So I run over and tip him on his side, head lower than his feet like they tell you to do when he chokes on his milk as a newborn. Eventually he coughs and cries a little but settles down and goes back to playing. Scary, right? 5 minutes later he does it again. Same thing except this time some mucus came up. So I suck out his nose as best I can. 5 minutes later he does it again. So, I'm kinda freaked out and I call the pediatrician's office. His doctor is not in so I talk to whoever the nurse was there. I said, "My 9 month old son keeps choking on his mucus to where he actually stops breathing for a minute." She replies with a gasp, "Oh, no. Do you want to bring him in?" Uh, panic. "okay." I hang up the phone and he does it again. So now I'm worried that on the way there he is going to choke and I won't be able to hear him because, as choking goes, he doesn't make any sound. I can't see him because his car seat is facing backwards and he's just gonna die. So, I called Mike and said, "I kinda want you to come home." I told him what was going on and he was worried and we went to the doctor with me in the back seat watching Austin. Well, he never did it again. Then the doctor (not ours) comes in and says that it's a common thing. Looks scary but it's no big deal. He just isn't used to the thickness of mucus and when it lands on his vocal cords he panics instead of swallowing. But the brain kicks in and he figures it out on his own. Well, I'm sorry but the nurse could have just said that on the phone. So then Mike is not happy with me and says, "We need to work on what is an emergency and what isn't and how to react." So here I am the overprotective first time mom - again. I still think if it were him he would have been freaked out too. Oh well. Whadjagonnadue?
Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:
I totally understand your concern! Better safe then sorry right?!
ReplyDeleteI'd be freaking out too and that's what I do for a living! Of course kids never do it again when you make your husband come home or go see the doc! I don't really think that's a normal thing, none of my kids ever did that.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you are over-protective at all. I would have freaked out myself, and I have never heard of such a thing with kids choking. You did the right thing--don't let anyone tell you otherwise. the pictures are adorable. Aunt Lynda
ReplyDeleteI think that warranted a trip to the doctor - and someone in the backseat to make sure he was okay on the way there. This is the first time I've ever heard of choking on your own mucus. Love the pictures. Austin is a real cutie. Looking forward to seeing him in person in April.
ReplyDeleteI gather he is feeling better by now?
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm not expert, but I agree with the ones who have spoken. I can't believe how much older he looks! We'll see you in April--he'll be walking by then and into everything :)
ReplyDeleteDitto to the above comments!!
ReplyDeleteFirst of many scary things. You will probably get to have lots of first like that. First poison control call. First 911 call. First broken bone. So many great things to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Miranda. I'd rather take them to the doctor and let them tell me it wasn't a problem! I was once chewed out by a doctor for not bringing in my baby when I had been calling all weekend! What a tall little boy! Loved the pictures.
ReplyDeleteNina did the same thing when she was first born!! I actually had the nurse rip her out of my arms and dump upside down once because she was not breathing and I was not reacting properly. Needless to say I never made the same mistake again. It made me so upset that I made Dan come home at his lunch hour everday so I could shower for almost two weeks after Mom and Janet left - that is a bit overprotective. You did EXACTLY the right thing and def not overprotective!!! I think you will be like me and probally celebrate when you can finally turn the car seat around and actually see what is happening with your baby!!!!
ReplyDelete